What Do You Do When You're Stuck?
What do you do when you're stuck?
Have you ever felt like you have so much on your to-do list that you don't know where to start?How about, you have so many thoughts floating around your noggin that you don't know which one to focus on first?Or maybe this, you're so burdened by the brokenness, hurt, cruel, devastating, disgusting burdens of this world that your brain can't even begin to process it all?Not just me?That makes me feel a little better.
Long story short, this post wasn't originally on the docket. In fact, I didn't have this written down anywhere as a possible working blog post.Funny how life is sometimes, eh?I've been stuck for a while now.Do you ever feel like you're chugging along with inspiration and mental fuel that you're gonna crush your goals... but then...that day comes when your fuel runs out, your inspiration runs dry, and you don't feel like doing much of anything?Today was the day when I felt as though I couldn't put one foot in front of the other or type another word on my keyboard.
When you start to feel paralyzed by everything.... STOP.
- First things first, take 3 deep c l e a n s i n g breaths.
- Sit down with a pen and paper, or take out your phone for you digital peeps, and write down or speak evvveeeerrryyyything that's on your heart. Everything.
- If that's not your cup o' tea, call a friend or family member that you trust, warn them about the rant that's about to ensue and get everything off of your chest.
- Or better yet, go wherever you feel comfortable or at peace, and pray. Lay your burdens at the feet of Jesus and tell Him everything that is in your heart.
I had to do that today.
And honestly, I should probably do that more often.I have piles of burdens on my heart and dozens of to-do lists stacking up in my head.I was so paralyzed with all of the things that have to be done at home and for our businesses, the responsibilities of raising a child well, growing in my walk with the Lord and with my family.Burdened by news of the filth of this world that sickens me and makes me cry out for Jesus to go on and come back already.
It was one of those days.
When these days crop up, and they happen fairly often, I have to take a step back and do my checks and balances.
- Take a few deep cleansing breaths
- Pray and talk to Jesus about everything that is in your heart and mind
- Brain dump EVERYTHING
- Do something that makes you smile
- Go back to your braindump list and start prioritizing things that you can control
You might not be in a position to hop to this immediately. And that's ok. When the first chance arises for you to take stock of where you are right now, do it.It might not be a perfect scenario with dimly lit candles (or a diffuser), a quiet or sleeping kid etc.Seize a moment, even if it's brief, to take those few cleansing breaths, walk into the other room and pray.It won't take your to-do lists away, but I promise you, you'll feel at least a little better and encouraged after spending intentional time with the Lord and clearing your mind.I promise you won't be stuck. You'll be able to move forward, at least for a little while, and make progress with whatever it is you're working toward.If you find yourself getting stuck more often than you'd like, that's ok.Just run through these steps again.I'm one of those people.I have to get unstuck more often than I care to admit.But I'm encouraged.I'm encouraged that the one constant in my life, Jesus, will always be there for me to get unstuck with.For that, I'm thankful.